The Gola Ghar or the ammunition store house of the Ahoms is situated near the Talatal ghar in Sivasagar district of Assam.
Architecturally it is a do-chala rectangular hut shape brick structure.
A porch adjoining the house is similar in style but smaller in height and width. The entire structure is 22.8 metres long, 11.7 metres wide and 2.15 metres thick. At the front and back, circular holes with terracotta pipes along with multiple square openings provide ventilation. The storehouse of explosives was built during the reign of Chakradhwaj Singha (1663-1669AD).1
Presently, the Golaghar is a protected monument under Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), and very recently it has been renovated as a museum gallery displaying different weapons, arms, artillery, armour worn by kings and soldiers, dresses, the process of making gunpowder, the military and the navy of Ahoms. There are total 19 booths in the gallery open to the visitors.
image copyright: www.abhijna-emuseum.com ,www.telegraphindia.com & IGNCA, New Delhi